Three Slugs Hit Same Spot
I peered intently through the riflescope. I could see only one hole in the target I was aiming at. I had just fired my third shot and was expecting to see three holes. I could not find them. My son Matthew was looking at the target with the binoculars. It was seventy-five yards away and we were test firing the shotguns with slug cartridges in order to adjust the gun sites for accuracy in preparation for our deer hunt this Saturday. Matt said, "I think all three hit the same spot."
I could not really tell through the riflescope. I was skeptical though, I told Matt, "I don't think so, do you know how hard that would be to do, shoot three shotgun slugs into the same hole at seventy-five yards?" We decided to go look. There they were, sure enough, one, two, three shots in a row all hitting the same exact spot, with a shotgun slug from seventy-five yards away.
I was pleased and have thought much about it since then. I shoot well, I always have. I discovered I had this natural ability the first time I shot a gun. I was invited as a High School student to shoot a round of trap at a church Men's Group trap shoot. I hit 23 out of 25 clay pigeons and won one of the prizes.
My first experience as a hunter came at the age of 29 when I moved to South Dakota. I purchased my first shotgun and have been an avid hunter ever since. One of the biggest reasons I like to hunt is that I shoot well. Being a good shooter is important to me.
I have always been interested in sports, athletics and competition of all kinds, but physically I never found myself suited for any kind of activity or sport. I grew up settling for being just a spectator when it came to athletics.
Then I discovered my ability to shoot. Shooting is a competitive physical activity that requires skill, and I excel at it. Therefore, I hunt, because I am good. It is my sport, my gift, it is what I do. Last year while hunting deer, I took a shot that was exceptionally difficult and perfectly right on. It was a work of art, as much so as any perfectly thrown 50-yard "bomb" touchdown pass.
This year I hit the exact same spot on my target with three slugs fired from my shotgun from seventy-five yards away. That is not easy to do. I am good when it comes to shooting. And I like that.
I am grateful to be good at something physical. It is what I always wanted growing up. It just took me a long time to discover I had it in me. How many other wonderful things does God have to show me about myself that I have yet to discover? I have come to think that he is ready to bless me beyond what I am willing to hope.
Incidentally, my son Matthew has the gift as well. Tomorrow deer season opens. Matt, Evan and I will be out there in the wild freezing our butts off. No deer is safe.


No comments:
Post a Comment