Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Munching on the Duck

Whenever I go outside to do anything I take the dogs with me. I do whatever it is I need to do, they do dog stuff and we turn it into a social outing. Everybody has a good time.

Yesterday, when I got home from work, Leland, my neighbor, and I went out to move fence panels and the dogs came with us, as usual. I heard a commotion and looked up to spy our cute little Boxer puppy dragging a nearly full-grown duck across the front lawn.

Despite the fact that the duck was nearly as big as she was, and that it was flapping and protesting in as vigorous a duck way as it possibly could with feathers flying and all kinds of noise and ruckus, our little darling pup seemed to be impervious. She had what appeared to be a vice-like death grip on this unfortunate fowls hind end with set determination.

Several things registered in my mind instantly. In the past, watching the innocent, helpless little wannabe hunter chase the birds around had always been a funny sight. She was the "I think I can" Little Toot of the dog world. But it looks like our little girl is growing up. Chasing birds is no longer funny business; she can obviously catch them.

Also, I had recently noticed that she had grown real live doggy chompers. What was my clue? All of a sudden, she is doing some serious damage to the furniture instead of just slobbering on things and gumming on stuff. I looked in her mouth and saw some impressive canines poking out. I think the duck would also attest that the new teeth work well, since it is now on the receiving end of being munched on.

So, instant awareness. Our sweet puppy can now catch ducks and can damage ducks. And the ducks cannot defend themselves or get away. I told Leland, "Here, hold this panel for me a second. I have to go save that duck."

As I am on my way over to our dog Penny, I shout out to her, "No!" She sees me coming out of the corner of her eye, and hears me say, "No!" and she lets go of the duck! I am surprised. The duck frantically, hysterically, starts flapping around; I am sure thinking, "Free! Free! Got to get away!"

I am thinking, "Boy that was easy, Penny let go right away, as soon as I told her to." Well, not so easy. As soon as the hapless bird made a dash for it, Penny reacted, pounced, chomped and proudly stood up with the bird hanging from her mouth; I am sure thinking, "Hah, got you again!"

I, still out of rescue range, yelled again, "No!" whereupon she again dropped the feathered prey, who again made an attempt at escape. This triggered yet another recapture by our surprisingly adept bird catching young dog. This, no doubt comical, albeit somewhat tragic, at least for the duck, dance actually played out two more times before I reached the scene.

I scooped up our canine offender, incriminating feathers still hanging from her mouth, and took her back into the house. When I came back out to finish helping Leland with the fence panels I noticed that the duck was still alive, but moving slowly.

Obviously, our dog does not understand. This is a proud moment for her. She finally caught one of the bastards. Now she wants to figure out what a dog does with a bird when you catch one. We do not want her to figure that one out. That can be an unsolved mystery in her little doggy mind.

Our distress over the matter must be confusing to her. I realize now that letting our little puppy chase birds has not been harmless fun. We have been done in. She has become a serious threat and the lesson needs to be undone. She must learn that ducks are off limits.

Then there is the reality check that every parent faces. Our baby is not a baby any more. You blink, and they have grown up. Where does the time go? Cindie and I have been sorting through old photos. When we raised our family, when we had our kids, we savored all the moments, we smelled all the roses and we have no regrets. It is a wonderful thing, a great blessing as we reflect back. But boy, oh boy, it all seemed to go by so fast.

No comments: