Killer on the Loose
I walked into the barn today and nothing seemed unusual. But as I worked, I became aware of an uncomfortable feeling, nothing definite, nothing even hardly consciously perceptible, at least at first. It was just a background uncomfortable sense that something was not quite right. Like something was there that should not be there. Or no, something was missing, something that should be there was gone. Then it dawned on me. Something was missing.
The chickens were gone, all of them. I do not know why I did not notice it right away. I mean, after realizing it, it seemed so utterly obvious. The chickens are always there, poking around, "bock, bocking" all over the place. There are so many of them, the barn is always a noisy, busy, crowded place. But now, today it is dead, silent and empty.
And the cats, where are all of the cats too? There are not any cats here either. This place has been totally cleared out. Last week the barn was teeming with life, today it is filled with nothing but hollow echoes. This is freaking me out.
You know what I think? Something must be eating them. Yes, I know, it sounds gruesome, but they are tasty. The chickens, that is, not the cats. I think we have a hungry killer on the loose, a competitive carnivore. And this just will not do. There is only room for one carnivore on this farm, and it is I. Whoever is munching on my chickens has to go.
But that is easier said than done. My rival is likely nocturnal and I am not. Our paths will never cross. Maybe I should not worry about it. There do not seem to be any more chickens left for me to be defensive about. It seems like they all have been eaten already.
Maybe if I wait awhile before getting replacement chickens, whatever it is eating my chickens might forget all about our barn and never come back for seconds. But that is not very likely though. Would it forget about a place with easy pickings?
Well, this is just disturbing. The chickens are gone and there is a killer on the loose. No, this just will not do.


2 comments:
"maybe it will forget about your barn"... I think not! If this creature is anything like one I know, after finding a treat in the garbage can once, I repeat, ONE random time, she will now check it regularly, even after a dry spell (a securely fastened lid) of weeks and weeks she still checks it on a religious basis, in the odd hope that it will provided a goody once more. Animals are relentless!
Ah yes, wishful thinking. You are right of coarse. You know what this means don't you? Yes, I must be just as relentless, or go chickenless. This means war!
Post a Comment