Thursday, May 17, 2007

Do It Yourself Floor

Here it is. My photo essay series documenting our kitchen-floor resurfacing project. Cindie planned this for months. We had stacks of wood floor planks waiting in our laundry room since last year. She got the on sale, of course. The appointed day arrived when helpful volunteers gathered bringing with them an assortment of handy tools, a potpourri of useful knowledge, valuable experience, veritable enthusiasm and the marathon weekend of blood sweat and tears ensued.

I managed to snap a few photos to record the transformation and share it here with you. My photojournalism efforts met with a few ruffled feathers when I was accused of taking pictures that were less than flattering. But I never show cleavage or butt shots, never. They did not have to worry.

My son-in-law Evan was an enormous help, performing a lion’s share of the work. Thank you Evan.

I was worried though that the job was ever going to be done when it took him and Cindie most of the first morning to figure out how to put down just the first plank. Fortunately, the speed picked up after that.

My new DeWalt radial arm saw was perfect for the task at hand and a perfect excuse to finally get one after I’ve wanted one for nearly ten years now. I’ve been patient.

Part one in a series, more to come.

No comments: