Sunday, September 03, 2006

Jubilee and dr. wengel

I started out adding a comment to your post of THURSDAY, AUGUST 31, 2006 @ 7:22 PM when I decided I wanted to post an old picture I had of the two of you together. Your post is so poignant, so articulate, that I fear if I say too much I risk detracting from its impact. I was profoundly moved and I thank you for sharing the depth of your feeling and your keen insight.

You have captured and expressed foundational human experiences relating to love and loss, nurturing and growing that in this life, on this earth, is lived out in the context of generational separation. The both wonderful and tragic at the same time truth that the most important and most meaningful people in our lives are born and die and live at times that are staggered throughout our lives. Our lives overlap with the lives of others. When a new life layers onto ours there is an addition, an effect. And sometimes great joy and great richness occurs. But when that layer ends, it is missed, there is loss, sometimes it is immeasurable.

Your parents are a generation layer ahead of you. You are their child to them. Your future children are a generation layer behind you. They have yet to be born. Yet you eagerly anticipate their coming relationships with you. You understand the powerful impact these future relationships will have in your life. You know how much you have to give, how much is in you to give. When the time is right, you will be ready. And Jubilee, whether she will be present in the flesh or only in your heart, will have played no small part in bringing you to that moment, in making you who you uniquely are. And that I guess is how it works in this life.

3 comments:

drwengel said...

thanks for the thoughts, it means a lot!

drwengel said...

I like what you are doing with your photos - but I want a new post! See, you already have an audience to cater to!! HAHA

dr. david said...

Thanks! I'm having fun with the creative part of designing the web page, learning about programing in HTML and everything. My internet's broken. It's working at a snails pace when it is working. They're trying to figure it out. But you're right, must get back to writing. I've been enjoying your posts too. Mom says we're in competition... Naahhh!