First Day
Cindy and I met each other on our first day of medical school. On that day we could not know that we were destined to become life partners and soul-mates. But that is what happened. We have since lived our lives together and shared our profession. We learned the science and the art of medicine together and started a practice together. And over the years we have lovingly nurtured, and built, and labored, and struggled to bring about an effective, sustainable, compassionate medical practice unrivaled in quality, service and care. And we have done so as partners, as equals, together. It has been a wonderful journey, and it continues.
Two days ago we reached a new milestone. After fifteen years of practicing alone as a couple we added a new partner. There are now three of us. This is really good. The practice is thriving. We have built a new clinic facility with more space. We are affiliated with a local physician network with access to its resources. We are growing, adding new patients, starting new clinics in neighboring towns. We are in the middle years of our professional lives. Our new partner has just finished her training. As we near our retirement years she will be approaching the age we are now. It is a good overlap. She represents a new generation, a younger practice, fresh approaches, new ways of doing things, just lots of good stuff.
We are very excited. These are the kind of things in life that just don't happen very often and I think they are to be savored somewhat. You know? Just to take a little pause, make note. These are the moments in your life that you will always look back on and remember. Or at least try to remember. On Dr. Alyson's first day I told her I was trying to remember the details of my first day in private practice. I could remember some things well. Like moving into my coat closet cubicle of an office, arranging my very own stapler and paper clip holder, and deciding which side of the desk the phone would go on. But I can't remember anything at all about the first patient I saw. And I really wish I could. Isn't that funny? I remember the paper clips but not the patient. It bugs me.
Maybe she will always remember the first patient she saw? There was nothing special about it, except that it was the first. Everything that she has ever done in her life up to this point has brought her to this moment. This moment in time in this place with this patient. All the years of school, all the long hours, all the sacrifice, all the waiting, everything endured and suffered comes to this. It means everything. It doesn't seem like it though. It comes, it goes. Routine. Forgotten. The first of tens of thousands like it to come. I hope she never forgets. It doesn't seem like it, but it's everything.
Thank you Alyson for choosing to join with us. We count it a privilege to serve our patients with you alongside of us. The future is exciting. Can't wait.


No comments:
Post a Comment