Old Obituary
This is a photograph of the grandparents of Cindie's grandmother, J. D. and Rebecca K. Wirt. One of their sons was Cindie's great-grandfather, his name was Socia Wirt, you don't see that name everyday, Socia. They had a daughter they named Mary Elizabeth who apparently died when she was 23 years 23 days old. It is said, live one day at a time, I guess.
Cindie recently started working again on her genealogy hobby. She showed me the old family bible she inherited, the one that the couple in the photograph owned. Its date of publication is 1840 and its condition is remarkable. The sale price is written on the inside cover in pencil, $4.50, which must have been a small fortune back then, the bible most likely was a prized possession.
A small scrape of paper, tucked away between two pages, caught my eye. It seemed a bit out of place, it looked too new. I pulled it out for a closer look. It was a newspaper clipping, small, 2 inches by 4 inches, the paper was stiff, tan colored, but not faded, the print was strong and easy to read, but had and old look to it. I was surprised to see the date, 1875; I really expected it to be more like 1925, the way it looked.
The clipping was an Obituary for Mary Elizabeth. It struck me as so unusual and so unique that I just had to share it. First of all the content, I think it is funnier than heck, consider the line, "Peace to her mouldering (sic) dust."
Second, people don't write like this anymore and I so much like the writing style of that period, formal, proper and eloquent. They really could design a sentence and use words and say things in, well, in unusual ways. I love it. Like in this short piece even, words or phrases like "solemn truth" "fortitude" or "composure" would not likely appear in an obituary today.
Third, it does not really seem to say anything. It's incredibly short. Did the writer even know her? Is this a typical style for an obituary back then? It struck me as just kind of odd.
Hey kids, this is a relative of yours. Mary Elizabeth, she lived 23 years and 23 days. It was written by "E." I don't know out of what paper this was clipped.
Obituary
Died, near Harrisonville, Cass county, Mo., Nov. 18, 1875, Mary Elizabeth daughter of J. D. and Rebecca K. Wirt, aged 23 years and 23 days.Feeling assured of the solemn truth that eulogies or lengthy obituaries upon the departure of our friends can neither benefit us or advance their interest on the other shore, suffice it to say that she bore her affliction with more than ordinary fortitude and composure, leaving as a legacy to her bereaved friends and relatives, unmistakable evidences of her acceptance with God, through the merits of a crucified Redeemer. Write, "Blessed are the dead, that die in the Lord." Peace to her mouldering (sic) dust.
Asleep in Jesus! Oh how sweet--From whence none ever wake to weep. E.


1 comment:
I read this post to Cindie and she told me something interesting about Mary Elizabeth's death.
Mary Elizabeth was engaged to be married when she died and so was her younger sister Cecilia Ann. Cecelia Ann was twenty years old when her sister Mary Elizabeth died. Mary Elizabeth was twenty-three.
The two sisters were both engaged to be married at the same time and were planning their weddings for the same day.
When her older sister died, Cecelia Ann broke off her own engagement. She lived to be 71 years of age and never married.
Cecelia Ann died in 1926, 51 years after her sister, Mary Elizabeth died. She was single her whole life.
Kind of sad.
Post a Comment