Morning Deer
This morning on the way to work I came over a hill and spied in the distance a large doe standing on the side of the road. Instinctively I let off on the gas and started to slow down as I approached. I glanced in my rear view mirror to make sure that no one would be coming up behind me as I slowed. She stood broadside to me facing away from the road on my right, as if she had just crossed. She was all attention, looking straight at me, frozen, beautiful. The morning sun coming from behind me lit her up in the beautiful golden brown color of her summer coat. She was radiant against the verdant hue of the tall grass along the side of the road. I don't think the whitetail deer is ever more beautiful than at this time of the year, so vibrant, literally glowing with color.
This morning, as I frequently am, I was in awe, and in reverence, at being in the presence of a wild animal. Seeing the wild animal evokes in me something that I like. Maybe some part of me that is wild too, a part that feels real, and grand, and connected to the earth, and to creation, and to the creator. I became aware of my creator, and I felt gratitude for receiving such great gifts. I prepared to stop the vehicle as I drew closer. She poses a danger, I know, because she is unpredictable. I am alert, as she is. My pulse quickens.
I scan the ditches on both sides of the road, and the fields as well. Were there is one deer there often will be others. It is not the deer you see that you hit, it is the one you don't see. The one that pops out at the last minute and jumps in front of the vehicle when your think you are clear. Then I see them on the opposite side of the road. Twin fawns. They are standing in the grass, almost blending in. They appear to be following the doe. She must be their mother. They are at the edge of the road, they have not crossed yet. They stand frozen, staring at me as I approach. Although they still have their white fawn spots, they are maturing, nearly half grown. They are trim and agile and wonderful.
I slow way down. I draw closer. What will happen? Who will move? Suddenly the two fawns turn around and bolt away from the road and away from their mother. They are running off away on my left. A half of a second later the doe bolts and goes the opposite direction and runs away from the road and away from the fawns off away on my right. Now the road ahead of me is clear and I can pass without worry. The deer have run away from the road. And I have enjoyed the serendipity of a rare brief close-up encounter with nature's beauty and elegance.
But... I do know a little something about does and fawns. They do not want to be separated. They may have started out running in different directions, but they are going to end up together, and a road is not going to get in their way. Someone is going to circle back around and run across the road to get to the others. So I waited. And I watched. And sure enough. Mother doe made a big circle, came back around, and dashed across the road in front of me making a bee line to where the twin fawns went. She could easily have been nailed by an unsuspecting driver passing on by. But thankfully, today she wasn't. So we all went happily on our way, and had nice days.


No comments:
Post a Comment